We are pleased to share that Bishop Kearney added 6th grade to our current school structure in 2015, making our total offering grades 6 through 12. Bishop Kearney’s new format follows Diocesan trends and the national model for middle schools which have a grade 6-8 configuration.
Bishop Kearney has a separate middle school wing and classrooms for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Providing education for Grades 6 through 12 enables us to create a program that allows for a seamless transition from middle school to high school.
Currently our 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students are able to take advantage of our innovative curriculum and technology initiatives in classrooms equipped with the same technology that can be found in throughout our building.
We are thrilled to have the opportunity to “empower young men and women to reach their full potential— spiritually, academically, and socially—by providing a college preparatory, values based Catholic education in a student centered family atmosphere, in keeping with the tradition of the Christian Brothers and School Sisters of Notre Dame,” at an even earlier stage of their formation.
The Academic Program
- 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students will participate in: English, Math, Social Studies, Foreign Language, and Science, as well as Religion. They will also participate in art, physical education and music classes.
- Accelerated classes: Students have the opportunity to pursue advanced course work leading to a potential of three high school credits obtained in middle school: Algebra, Biology, and Latin I.
- Foreign Language: All of our middle school students take Latin. Latin helps students understand how other languages (including English) operate. Latin has a very clear, structured, and organized grammar that allows students to master grammatical concepts in English, and also serves as an excellent foundation for any other language students will go on to learn. For example, Spanish, French, and Italian are all derived from Latin, and have grammatical structures much more similar to Latin than to English. Latin helps students to expand their English vocabulary. Over 60% of English words (and 90% of those with more than two syllables) are derived from Latin, so students will be better prepared to recognize or to figure out new words that they have not seen before.
- The academic foundation that Bishop Kearney provides middle school students allows them to thrive in high school as Bishop Kearney SAT scores are consistently 20% higher than the national average.
- Bishop Kearney’s College Prep. Curriculum exceeds state and national standards. Bishop Kearney is exempt from the N.Y. State Regents and Common Core testing. Bishop Kearney’s graduation requirement of 32 credits far exceeds the state standard of 22 credits. Our 100% graduation rate and 100% college acceptance rate is a credit to our curriculum and award winning faculty.
- Bishop Kearney students have recently been accepted and committed to over 60 colleges and universities including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Bucknell, Cornell, Colgate, Columbia, Clarkson, Duke, Fordham, Ithaca, Niagara, Notre Dame, Penn State, St. Bonaventure, St. Francis, St. John Fisher, Syracuse, Temple, Wisconsin, Villanova, and many more!