May 3, 2019
Congrats to Bishop Kearney’s Carm Urzetta! Carm was honored last night by St. Bonaventure University at the Gaudete Medal Awards Dinner. The Gaudete Medal is one of the university’s highest honors. Awarded every year since 1996, the recipients are chosen through their demonstration of joy and service that exemplify the life of St. Francis of Assisi. Carm Urzetta,’65, has dedicated his life to helping mentor younger generations.
A proud father of four and grandfather of six, he has worked as an integral part of Bishop Kearney High School for more than 54 years and has lived out the school motto “Do All Things Well”.
His list of recognitions and awards span as long as his career. Naming only a few: University of Rochester Teacher Excellence Awards, 1987 and 1989; Bishop Kearney Wall of Fame, 2002; Baseball Field Name Dedication, 2015; Rochester Softball Hall of Fame, 2015; Rochester Basketball Officials, 50-Year Service Recognition, 2016; Frontier Field Walk of Fame for referee at all levels, 2018; and 63rd St. Nicholas Society Man of the Year in 2018.
In 2013, he created the “Carm Urzetta Scholarship Fund” to help students with financial need attend Bishop Kearney. He has raised more than $198,000 since its inception. New York State Senator Rich Funke declared August 26 as “Carmen Urzetta Day.”
May 1, 2019
Bishop Kearney Hosts Largest Signing Ceremony In School History For 15 Senior Athletes
A school record fifteen Bishop Kearney athletes commit to college athletics at the spring signing ceremony:
- Lytoya Baker, basketball, Le Moyne College
- Lauren Bernard, hockey, Clarkson University
- Nyle Boyce, hockey, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
- Mackenzie Brown, hockey, Gustavus Adolphus College
- Mackenzie Emery, hockey, Merrimack College
- Francesca Gerardi, hockey, Gustavus Adolphus College
- Hannah MacDougall, hockey, University of Massachusetts
- Cameron Morrissey, hockey, University of Vermont
- Alex Mowry, soccer, Elmira College
- Mya Neugent, hockey, Bemidji State University
- Alicia Opett, track and field, St. John Fisher College
- Thomas Tytler, soccer, SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- Mark Vanenti, track and field, St. John Fisher College
- Alexandria Weiss, hockey, Mercyhurst University
- Ellie Zweber, hockey, Cornell University